Friday, June 19, 2009

Two weeks in...

Today marks two working weeks that I have been an A Journeyman Electrician. This is the top of the game. Without a doubt I am expected to have a total grasp of the concept of electrical work. At first I was a little nervous about it. The first week was a continuation of what we call a three-alarm blaze.

A three-alarm blaze is when there is a deadline to be met and another crew is called in to assist the original working crew.

It was a week of twelve hour days, trouble shooting and rushing in change orders. At the point that it became overwhelming everything slowed down… It was amazing. The training kicked in…

Thursday, I went to Crystal City....straight into the Switchgear Room B...terminate lets get this gear on and these branch circuits hot....

I really do love my job...in the two weeks I have been a Journeyman, I swear, I have had to run pipe from 1/2" to 2" and some rigid....I've had to troubleshoot low voltage and high voltage and even some control work. Now I am in the gear room....not quite A to Z electrically but A to Q in about two weeks..., the best feeling is being prepared for what I might come across in the field...it gives me confidence.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I'm glad it gives YOU confidence. Hearing all that just makes me FRIGHTENED!

    ReplyDelete